Monday, June 1, 2015

The Welsh and the English gather to celebrate!

Being born and raised in Wales, I was used to hearing playful digs about "the English". The Welsh and Scottish have this in common; being raised with a humorous dislike of the English. The history behind this runs deep. However, this past weekend my husband and I, along with my mum, were surprisingly part of a gathering of the Welsh and the English, and only a few playful exchanges about this rivalry occurred.

My husband and I always visit Wales at this time of year to see my mother and celebrate her birthday. On June 2nd she will be 93 years young. So, we also planned our usual visit to my mother's only brother for a family meal. What we didn't know was that our relatives had planned a reunion. As we pulled up to the house, we griped that there were no parking spaces near my uncle's home. Little did we realize those car owners were there to see us!

The birthday girl with her cards and presents

My mother's only sister had three sons, all of whom eventually moved to various parts of England. I'll hold back on the jokes, to keep peace in the family. Each of her sons also married English women; again, I'll resist the usual jokes.

An English lady (L) and Welsh lady enjoyed a laugh together

Thanks to my cousins' planning, we thoroughly enjoyed a family reunion. Those at the party collectively prepared a beautiful buffet, and the weather cooperated (and I'll avoid the usual jokes about Welsh rainy weather). We were able to spend a lovely afternoon in the garden, with lots of chatter and fun.

My uncle, bringing the birthday cake to his sister

Just last week I said that, unfortunately, families often only gather for weddings or funerals, but that wasn't the case this weekend. We had four generations there, ranging from 93 to just a few months old. Some were new faces to me, and for my husband it filled the gap of a few relatives he had heard of but never met.



I am so grateful to those who made this effort, many of whom travelled a good distance to be there. I will never forget their thoughtfulness.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful family you have! Happy Birthday to you Mother! She sure looks great... well, the whole family does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I passed along your birthday wishes to her. She's always so surprised by how many people in various places know that it's her birthday. The power of the Internet :)

      Delete