Saturday, August 1, 2015

A mother's love is precious

A mother's love

Many who read this blog will be aware that my mum has health problems. At 93 years of age, up until recently she led an independent life; often walking a mile or two to the grocery store. Never having driven, she's stayed fit by regularly walking. Although as a senior she gets a free bus pass to travel anywhere in the country, she has kept up her walking. I think this is the main reason for her longevity.


This has not been a good year for my mum. An earlier post explains that she had a stroke in mid-May, but the most recent post shows her happily celebrating her 93rd birthday. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago she had a major heart attack. After just two days in hospital, she was released to the care of her younger brother, his wife, and their son. Once I was aware of the stroke, I stayed in regular contact with them, and was assured that I did not need to rush to Wales.




I'm now in Wales again, caring for my mother while her brother and sister-in-law take a vacation that was booked prior to the heart attack. A well-deserved vacation, I might add, as they've treated her better than she'd get at any 5-star establishment. Along with their son, they've given her amazing care, for which my husband and I are truly grateful.

I will return to Canada after a couple of weeks here. I would normally return to Wales late-September or early-October, but nothing's normal anymore. Yes, my mother is elderly, but I'm not sure it makes it any easier to handle. This life event has been a great reminder of how anyone's world can change ... in a heartbeat.

Be kind to those you love; they are precious.

1 comment:

  1. Francine... my heart goes out to you and all your family. Yes... our loved ones are so precious. Sending love and good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete