Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Why the silence from me about Cuba?

A friend recently mentioned that she's been waiting for the blog of our September trip to Cuba.

The sea looks dark here, but the variety of blues and greens is really quite beautiful


I struggled to find an answer as to why I hadn't done a post. Given time, I've come up with these reasons:

  1. It was our 5th visit to this resort, so I didn't take any photos of the country itself ... and what's a blog without photos?
  2. The goal of the trip was to enjoy the company of our close friends, which in itself felt more private.
  3. I was faced with privacy issues for one or more of my travel companions ... more about that later.
  4. I didn't have any particular "have sheep, will travel" goal, so maybe it wasn't a good fit for the blog?

Catching some early-morning quiet time at that same beach

I've now considered those reasons, and I'm ready to write!

Point 1

Because of the limitations of the resort's wifi, I choose to leave my electronic devices at home when travelling to Cuba. So, as my phone is now my camera, it will explain why I don't take photos there. However, I can share photos from previous visits.

Here are some of the vehicles seen in Havana, the capital city, which is about an hour's drive from the resort.

 
 

And notice the contrast in age of the two vehicle here ...


The architecture in Havana:





This last building, in the centre of Havana, depicts the state of the buildings in most of the country. Although they appear neglected, you can see by the laundry, they are occupied. 

Points 2 & 3

The use of social media and its inherent lack of privacy was an issue on this trip. One or more of my travel companions could not have their photo posted on social media. For one, it was a term of that person's employment. For the others ... I'll let your imagination conjure up stories! No James Bond types on this trip though, I can assure you!

This was my first experience of this restriction. With our house sits, I always get clearance from the pet owners to be able to post photos, and I keep photos of their homes to a minimum, to protect their privacy. However, this was the first time in a social setting I'd had this experience. So, somewhat out-of-character for me, I'm choosing to only post photos where I'm the only identifiable person :)

I can't quite read my own expression here ...
I wonder what I was thinking?
Point 4

Having visited this same area a few times, we've established a relationship with a local person who has a network in place to share donations with those in more remote, rural areas. Working in tourism provides a good income for Cubans, but those not in the industry often are in dire need. So, our sheep friends were delivered to the local person, with other donations. I'm confident these sheep found homes where they were needed and would be loved.

Our sheep who travelled to Cuba with us

There you go, my friend who was missing the blog of Cuba; I'm back in the blogging world again! Next month I'll be back in full swing, as we start our house sitting assignments, to escape the cold and snowy Canadian winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment