Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Appreciating the Niagara Region, right in our backyard

Travellers often take for granted what's in their own backyard. That's the case for us sometimes, here in Niagara. I've often thought I should do some posts of the Niagara Peninsula, for those who read this blog but have never visited. It's maybe not the best season to see the falls themselves, and the fall colours are not in their prime either. However, I've noticed some colours here lately that I'd like to share.

Last week I went to a mall close to our home. Given that the fall colours are just about over, this view of the Niagara escarpment caught my eye. On a warm, sunny day these colours were actually more dramatic than the photo reflects.



Notice what looks like a black fence in the foreground? Well, the Niagara region is wine country. Although Canada isn't particularly well-known for its wine, the Niagara region has a long list of wineries. This particular vineyard is part of the Niagara College teaching winery. So, what's that black "fence"?


Yes, grapes! The black line is from netting draped over the grapes, presumably to stop the birds from eating them. I wondered whether they are earmarked for icewine. This area is famous for icewine, with much of it being shipped to Asia, as Asians particularly appreciate icewine.

So, back to my journey to the mall, which was built just a year or two ago. Notice the wall at the parking area.



 Reflecting one of the important industries of this area, the wall is made of wine barrels from various local wineries.

Today we enjoyed temperatures in the high 70s. I noticed a burst of colour right off the deck of our home. A squirrel has been visiting our crab apple tree lately, stocking up for winter. Thankfully, he left some for us to appreciate. Nature at its finest.



In a couple of weeks we'll be off on our housesitting travels, chasing the warmer weather. I'll be thrilled if this warm weather continues until then. When we return next spring, I'll try to remember to show you more of the Niagara region. 

No comments:

Post a Comment