Saturday, March 12, 2016

How much are you paying at the gas pumps?

Before I talk about gas prices, I'll share a pet sitting story with you.

As house sitters, we often send photos or text updates to the home/pet owners, to assure them all is OK. As this is the second time we've house sit for these owners, we've already proven ourselves and so can comfortably be a little more relaxed and playful. In the photos below, Tagine was in her sunny spot in the garage when Greg set her up for a photo shoot. This is what I sent to her owner.

"Greg tells me it's catnip tea and it'll make me sleepy"

"He's right! Just kidding LOL"

Thankfully the reply from her owner was "too funny". All is good.

Now for a different topic: gas (petrol) prices. When we returned to Arizona this week, I noticed gas prices were lower than when we'd left six weeks before. It makes sense, given the drop in the price of oil.

This week we paid $1.59 gallon in Phoenix, only to find when we arrived in Tucson it was $1.39 gallon here. Oh well. 

I did some comparison pricing online tonight, and there's still a big difference between the price in the countries where I generally buy gas (shown in black). I've converted each to US currency and US gallons (3.8 litres). 




The entry in red is for Niagara Falls, New York, USA, which is just the other side of the river from our hometown. Many people who live in locations bordering the United States cross the border to buy gas. We choose not to do that for two reasons: our car has a small gas tank, and also we do all we can to support businesses in our community. However, with such a marked difference in price, for many it's too inviting to ignore. Even with the low value of the Canadian dollar against the US currency, it still works out cheaper to buy in the US.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I'll end with a photo of last night's sunset taken from the pool deck at our current home in Tucson, Arizona. It was a beautiful sunset.




Note: The pet owner has given prior approval to show photos on her pet here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Location: Catalina Foothills, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Weather: High 67ºF (19ºC) Low 50ºF (10ºC)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunset and beautiful cat pics. We use catnip in the UK too. I guess you know that being Welsh:) My dog walker sends pics. I find it amusing to see this alternate life my pets lead when I'm out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Anna. It's interesting to see the pet sit from the owner's perspective. As much as we try to follow a pet's routine, we know life is different for them when they're with us. We just hope it's a nice change, rather than unsettling. We like to think they're "at the spa" with us!

    ReplyDelete