Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Let Yelp be your breakfast guide

On our recent journey from Phoenix to Tucson, Greg asked me to look for a place to stop for breakfast. From past experience I knew we were on a stretch of interstate where towns are few and far between. I turned to the Yelp app for information. I found good reviews for the Cattleman's Cafe, which was open for breakfast and brunch only.





Using the Yelp mapping took us to a dirt road near a large red building, but no sign of a restaurant. It was a stockyard, so I thought we'd been led astray. However, in the photo above, on the left you'll see what is the tail-end of a sign that says "cafe". The Cattleman's Cafe was housed in the stockyards. We're talking authentic cattle country here!




The majority of the building was used for weekly auction of cattle stock. In this photo I'm standing at the front of the auction area, where the cattle are brought in, and I'm facing tiered seating not unlike what you'd see in a small theatre. It must be quite a production.




In the main entrance, we were surrounded by a wide range of mounted animal heads. For some reason, Greg took a particular liking to this one. 




Here's the seating in front of the entrance to the cafe, again with another animal staring down at us.




This dusty old guy was busy on his laptop. You wouldn't find me with a coffee cup that close to my laptop!

I would like to have taken photos inside the cafe, but don't like to be intrusive. I'll just say we were definitely out in the country.




While we waited for our meal, Greg spent some time looking at the many old framed photos on the walls. He particularly liked this one, perhaps because it was related to Calgary, Canada.




Even the decor in the ladies bathroom was in keeping with the country theme, although it wasn't a theme as such; it was authentic country life.

So what about the food, you ask? I had a short stack (small portion) of pancakes, but Greg went for the Cattleman's breakfast. It was big, I tell you, and yes ... he ate the whole thing!

The good reviews didn't lead us astray, and we didn't have room for any more meals for the rest of the day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Weather: High 80ºF (27ºC) Low 54ºF (12ºC)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment