Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Are those sheep hopping?

As you may know, I was born and raised in Wales, where sheep outnumber people by three to one. Apparently in Australia, sheep outnumber people by more than four to one. However, we've seen very few sheep since we've been here.

In the two days since we've been in Canberra, we haven't seen any live sheep. However, we did see two that made us smile.

Two days ago, I went to the store for a bottle of wine. I just couldn't resist this one.





Then yesterday we went to the grocery store, and Greg said we just had to buy the toilet paper with the sheep on it. The fact it was 3-ply was a bonus, as he knows I like 3-ply for tissues.




Yesterday, early evening, as we drove past the golf course near our home, Greg sighted a troop (we had to Google that) of kangaroos.




The count was about two or three times what you can see in this photo.

We went into tourist mode, jumping out of the car, phone/camera in hand. Some of the kangaroos stared right at us, while others looked disinterested. I noticed that a wire fence less than three feet high was the only thing separating them from me. Knowing that kangaroos hop, I wondered how high they could jump.

A man walked by and was totally disinterested in the kangaroos, which made me tag him as a local. That gave me the courage to get a little closer to take photos, but I was quick about it. No doubt the man walking by tagged me as a tourist.




Why the roses, you ask? Greg always asks the homeowners for a "honey-do" list. He was asked if he would deadhead the roses. Today he cut two in bloom and brought them to me. Why? Because today is my birthday, and ever since we've met, he's often asked if he can bring me flowers. I always say not to bother, especially on my birthday, Valentine's Day, as the price usually skyrockets. Today he was able to bring me roses, knowing I'd be OK with it. I'm sure the homeowners wouldn't mind either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment