Friday, March 10, 2017

Brightening up a cloudy day

Summer is officially over in this part of Australia, and we've now moved into autumn.

On a recent gloomy weather day, I went for a walk in the neighbourhood. 



Our home here backs onto a park area, which is where I was standing when I took this photo. This view is typical of the landscape in this area of Australia - rolling hills with clusters of housing in many of the lower areas.

We are living in the state of New South Wales, which was named by the original European explorer after my home country of Wales. There certainly is a similarity between this area and the Welsh countryside.


On my walk, I quickly noticed how many colourful flowers are still in bloom.


Roses are a very popular flower here in Australia, and many homeowners have them in their yards.



I first saw this flower at the Tucson botanical gardens in Arizona, and just fell in love with it then. It just seems so perfectly formed to me.


This photo is for our friend who just loves frangipani (plumeria). This plant had blooms in a variety of colours, but this was the only one I could reach to take a photo.


A simple flower, an impatiens I think, but a beautiful burst of colour.


Not sure what this one is called, even though I recognize it.


Yet another one that seems so perfectly formed, and such a vibrant colour.

These flowers certainly brightened up my walk on a gloomy weather day.

When we return to Canada, we'll be leaving autumn and going into spring. We love it when we skip winter! We can expect to see spring flowers in bloom, so we'll be treated to a burst of colour yet again 🌼  

No comments:

Post a Comment