Thursday, March 23, 2017

Experiencing 50 shades of grey

For those of you who read the title of this post and were anticipating something other than our ongoing weather news ... sorry to disappoint you :)

Greg tends to remind me when I've gone a while without updating the blog. I've been hesitating as I felt all I could show you was more photos of ocean and grey skies. However, yesterday was a breakthrough in the weather.




Yesterday was an opportunity to get out of the house, with blue skies, sunshine, and hardly a cloud in the sky. As it was also relatively hot and humid, we decided to go to the mall. On this house sit, we've done more mall-walking than is usual for us.

Whenever I watch the weather forecast here, it's never right, so I didn't bother checking it before we left. I'd washed a load of towels and put them on the line to dry. Maybe I should have looked at the forecast; let's just say we'll be able to experience 'rainwater soft' now.

Here's the sky now, as I'm writing this. This is what we've come to accept as normal here.


We have lots to be grateful for though as many homes have been without power through some of the recent storms.

The beautiful sunset you see below is what we experienced a few nights ago. I was watching the skies as, yet again, we had a severe weather warning and were anticipating thunder and lightening.


That photo was taken from the front of the house.


This was taken around the same time, but from the back of the house. I could see a full rainbow, from one end to the other. The other end also had a double rainbow, which I understand in eastern cultures is a sign of good fortune.

Back to more shades of grey and seafront photos. I might have previously said oceanfront photos, but I've only recently learned that we front the Tasman sea, so strictly speaking, we're seafront here.


Last week we went to Woollongong, the larger city (292,000) about 30 minutes north of us. Greg wanted to visit the Harley Davidson shop. We found it in the district of Fairy Meadow. I'll just say the name seemed like a disconnect from the Harley Davidson image.

We went to the nearby beach and the surf was loud and impressive.


This is one of those photos where I'd like to put captions above the heads of the surfers. One stood with his hands on his head for a while and never did move in the time we stood there.

Now take a look at the sky when I turned around, towards the mountain ranges.



We moved on.


This was taken a little further along, as we approached the harbour area. We parked the car and walked along the seafront. In our experience, it's not unusual to go from dry to pouring down here, and yes, that's what happened. Where were our raincoats and umbrellas? You guessed it, in the car.

We went for another walk a couple of days ago, again impressed by clear skies. We enjoyed a walk to the village, but experienced a very soggy walk home. This time I had an umbrella with me though.


In our house sitting travels, we develop friendships. Like any other experiences, some are stronger than others. On a house sit last year, we had our first experience of a strong community of neighbours, and they welcomed us into their fold. One of those neighbours, who has a particularly warm and supportive personality, has recently been diagnosed with cancer. She has asked for prays, so if you are a person of faith, I ask that you pray for her. She is a dedicated follower of this blog, so without knowing any of you, she will still be aware that you're out there and supporting her. Thank you.


I rarely use this space for personal requests, but I am very fond of this person and feel she deserves everyone's support.

No comments:

Post a Comment