Wednesday, August 10, 2016

An attitude adjustment: from whining to wine-ing

When we returned home earlier this year, after spending most of the winter in Arizona, I must admit I missed Arizona. After a few years now as a snowbird, it was the first time I wasn't really ready to return home. I always say you can look at any place through two different sets of eyes; focussing on the positive, or the negative. When I first returned home, I certainly focussed on the negatives.


Among other things, I miss the sunsets, cacti, and palm trees

Yesterday I spent a day in Niagara as more of a tourist, and it was a positive experience. My closest friend is hosting visitors from America. They invited me to join them in a tour of our wine region, or perhaps I should say part of our wine region.

When Greg and I travel outside of Canada, we find that very few people are aware of Canadian wines. 

In our neighbouring picturesque town of Niagara-on-the-Lake (population 15,400), at last count there are 20 wineries. That number seems to increase every year. By the way, if you've never visited Niagara-on-the-Lake, you should. It has been used as a backdrop for many movies, and for good reason; it is beautiful. But I digress.



Yesterday, we first visited Colaneri Estate Winery. My photo doesn't do it justice, but the website has more photos. Although it was built in 2010, I didn't even know it existed. Being there felt like being on a movie set, or somewhere in Italy. The phrase on their website is "It's not just love, it's passion." The staff member there certainly reflects that, as he spent lots of time sharing the history of the winery and the family who built it, explaining the artwork of the bottle labels, and of course pouring us samples to taste.  A great first stop, that's for sure!

With harvesting likely to start next month,
the vines are heavy with fruit

The next two wineries were quite modest in size and design. The stop at Colaneri had spoiled us, and we each said it would be tough to top that one. After something to eat, our final stop was at Jackson-Triggs Winery. In contrast to Colaneri, this winery had very modern architecture and design. Here we took a one-hour tour, which included four samples. Oh, in case you're concerned, my friend was the designated driver!

Our visitors, on the tour,
learning about the vine planting & harvesting

If you've never been to Niagara, let me just say you can approach it through two sets of eyes. The negative may focus on the many tacky aspects of Niagara Falls, where nature has at times given way to commercialization. Instead, you can view it in a positive light and see the beautiful parkway - 50 km of riverside roadway and trails that run from lake-to-lake - and it's beautiful wineries, golf courses, and nature areas. 

Yesterday was an attitude shift for me; I was proud to show off where I live to two young American ladies, one of whom was in Canada for her first visit. When I asked her about her impression of Canada, she just said it wasn't at all what she'd envisioned, but she didn't elaborate. I didn't ask.

A good day,
spending time with a good friend

Location: At home in Niagara Falls, Canada
Weather: High of 33ºC (91ºF), with humidex, 41ºC (106ºF), low of 23ºC (73ºF)


No comments:

Post a Comment