Monday, September 5, 2016

Do you have a Little Free Library?

While driving around Victoria I noticed a Little Free Library on a quiet side street. It's not the first I've ever seen, but I wanted to take a closer look. The following day I tried to retrace our steps, to get a photo, but I couldn't find it. As is my norm, I then went to Google for help.


An example only, but not one from the website

For those who don't know about Little Free Library, please click on the link in the first sentence here. Volunteers set up a free library, with the concept of "take a book, leave a book". I think it was originally intended for individuals, but I see on the site that Detroit intends to set up one in each of its 97 public schools. What a great idea.

You can buy the wooden libraries from the website, or you can create your own. You can also register your library with the site; you'll then be sent a nameplate to add to your library, and you would be shown on their map. Here's the map for Victoria, but the library I initially saw here is not on the map. I can only assume they didn't register.




I did search Niagara Falls and saw there isn't one registered there. I challenge our family and friends to be the first registered one in Niagara Falls. We certainly have a friend who does woodworking for a hobby and was the first to come to mind for me. 

Once I viewed the map, I was determined to find one to take a photo. The closest one to us was only a few streets away.



It was at a house on a busy thoroughfare, but thankfully there wasn't much traffic around as we slowly searched for it, and then stopped to take a photo. There's the library, under the tree, and on this one you'll see the nameplate that's issued by the website.




I'm putting out a challenge to everyone, to create one wherever you live. You may never know the difference you might make in someone's life. If you do create one, please send me a photo and its location and I'll share it on this blog.

Happy reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Weather: High 13ºC (55ºF), low 12ºC (54ºF)

No comments:

Post a Comment