Sunday, September 25, 2016

Unofficial survey - Coke or Pepsi?

Before I tell my story, I'll just start with some colourful flowers seen on today's walk.



Curb-side "tote collection" (garbage & recycling) is every two weeks here. To complicate things, each month your collection date moves to the next day of the week. For example, in August it was Thursday, and September it became Friday. For those of us who often wonder what day it even is, it really complicates things to change the collection day. I guess we'd get used to it though.




Our most recent collection day was September 16th. The following day we had a slip of paper in the mailbox, asking that we save cans and bottles for a charitable collection that would be done today, the 24th. I commented then that if only they'd given more notice, it would likely have increased the volume they'd collect. It seems I may have been wrong.




Today I went for a walk in the neighbourhood. Here's our collection, and - keeping in mind the title of this post - there's no hint of whether there's Coca Cola or Pepsi inside. We're choosing to remain anonymous, at least at this point.




Looking closely through the bag, locals may recognize one type of can showing through. By the way, they're in a COBS bag - our favourite bakery; we have lots of those bags!




At the next sighting, it was easy to tell their preference; looks like they have a love of Coca Cola. I just hope that's not one week's worth!



This home also had lots to donate, but who knows what was in there.




Ah, another Coca Cola lover, for sure.



On a neighbouring street, I saw this stack of boxes. It made me wonder whether this collection is an annual event. Otherwise, how could someone have so much to donate in such a short time? I had to take a closer look.




Let's just say many of the bottles looked like liquor bottles. As I was taking this photo, I heard someone coming out of the house, so I moved away quickly. Can you imagine ... "Why are you taking photos of my empties?"




Nearing our home, I noticed a bag outside our neighbour's house, with the instructions attached. After looking inside, I just shook my head. The instructions seemed clear to me. Maybe they thought someone had switched collection day ... yet again!




As I neared our home, I could see that Greg had added two cans to our stash. Our secret was out; at least some of the cans were Kokanee, a BC beer. OK, there's also evidence inside of Greg being a Pepsi drinker, but he may be in the minority around here!




For those who read my previous post, about the injured deer, I'm sorry to say things don't look promising. It managed to move to a sheltered area across the street, but has been resting quietly there all day, laying on its injured side.  I saw four large deer near it early this morning, but they then moved on. If it doesn't have the ability to move on, things don't look too hopeful. It's so sad.




Another quiet day in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, just a few miles away from the hustle and bustle of today's historic Royal visit. In some respects, I wish I'd made the effort to be a part of the welcoming crowd. Maybe I'll plan to be there to waive them goodbye next week instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment