Sunday, December 25, 2016

Raindrops on roses ...

... These are a few of my favourite things. [Lyrics from My Favourite Things, The Sound of Music]



We're certainly seeing our fair share of raindrops in Hilo. We were told it rains a lot here, and it certainly does.


One benefit of that is the lush greenery we see everywhere.


It's a stark contrast to the desert areas of Arizona, where we spent most of the previous two winters.


Today, I thought I'd share some of my favourite photos of raindrops on flowers (or plants) I've taken since we arrived here.


Wikipedia's description of this area gives some good statistical information on just how wet it is here. When reading this, keep in mind we live at a higher elevation in Hilo (2000+ feet above sea level, and yet only about a 10-minute drive from the sea).



This photo was taken a few days ago. As you can see, the waves were crashing up against the waterfront wall and we certainly had lots of rain.

I'm starting to grasp the true meaning of the word "rainforest". In case you're wondering ... yes, we packed raincoats! 

☔️


No comments:

Post a Comment