Saturday, November 21, 2015

Things are not always as they seem ...

Apparently the Roman poet, Phaedrus, can take credit for having said "Things are not always as they seem; the first appearance deceives many." Such was the case for me when I looked out into our "back yard". The treed area didn't hold much interest for me. From my perspective, as the greenery grows, the ocean view is being obstructed. Today, however, I went beyond the first appearance.




Frankie and I checked out the fruit on the banana / plantain tree.



The branches of the tree were laying on the ground from the weight of the fruit.



Greg and I didn't know whether it's a banana or plantain tree, and Google didn't clarify it as both trees are apparently similar in appearance. Apparently, as the fruit ripens, the size, skin thickness and texture are distinctive. I did cut through one today and I think they're bananas, but I'm not sure.

As I walked around, I saw a variety of flowers of various colours. Some weren't particularly noticeable, until I went up close.








This tiny indistinct flower looked like a small version of clover, but up close it was quite pretty.



This guy was quite content to stay sitting on the leaf, even when I went up close. Don't ask me what it is as I have no idea.




For safety reasons, I left my new iPhone at home and we brought Greg's iPhone 5, which doesn't have the retinal display. The camera on my phone is far superior, and I'm sure I could have had sharper definition with my phone. Oh well, you get the idea.

This plant is near our driveway. At first we thought it was a bird of paradise, but when I went up close I could see that it isn't. It's similar though.


I saw other greenery that struck me for its shape.



So, as the quote says "... the first appearance deceives many". I see the "back yard" in a whole new light now.

No comments:

Post a Comment