Saturday, January 30, 2016

The challenges of a river crossing

We are in the small coastal town of Lo de Marcos, Mexico. A river outflow borders the north side of the town, with a walking trail alongside. Our friends regularly cross this river as part of a weekly organized hike. At a point in a walk with our friends, I asked if the area we were at was the crossing point for their walks. She said the river level sometimes determined where they would cross, and that there was a shallower, narrower crossing point further along. I was pleased to hear that, as I plan to join next week's hike, but didn't like the look of that crossing point.

Today Greg and I walked the trail from the other direction and came across what must be the narrower crossing. A motorcyclist rode across the river, and I watched his tires to gauge the depth. OK, this is do-able for me. It was actually quite shallow and pleasant to walk through. We continued along the river bank on the other side. All of a sudden, Greg saw a man crossing the river at the original point I've mentioned; the wider, deeper one.  I took a series of photos, and although he was concentrating on his footing, he did glance up at me once. We watched him wade across, and noticed what he had in his hands. Can you figure it out?





OK, it's unlikely from that photo. Here's a closer look, although not particularly clear. He has an item in each hand, and a cloth tote bag on his left shoulder. A clue to the left-hand item can be seen both below his bag and jutting out at the front too. The right-hand item can be seen if you look at his knee.



OK, the photo below should show you what's in his right hand. Yes, a walking cane. This man crossed that river and yet needs the help of a cane to walk! 



And this close-up might help you see what's in his left hand. Yes, a machete! Given Greg and I both guessed this man to be about 80 years old, I was wondering what his need was for the machete. It was late morning, so was he coming back from working, or going to do work, or what? Soon after this point, we did try to speak with him, but without success. He seemed focused on what he was doing, and not really interested in us.



Here he is again, after he'd reached the river bank. He walked carefully but steadily, sat down, and dried his feet. He rolled up each sock, put them on, and then put on his polished hiking boots. He then rolled down his pants and tucked them into his boots, perhaps to not get his pants dirty on the remainder of his journey. Also notice the clean white shirt, ironed with pressed seams. A classic gentleman with a sense of pride in his appearance. I reflected on the cultural difference from my world; I couldn't think of a parallel in the places I've lived of seeing anything similar. Greg and I both felt it was wonderful to watch.



So, here I was, faced with the river section I'd planned to avoid. I started to say "I'm not crossing there", but I quickly said "If he can do it, so can I" ... and it was easy. Given the option, I'll still use the narrower crossing though.

I'll finish with one of the many beautiful flowers we've seen on our walks.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Location: Lo de Marcos, Nayarit, Mexico
Weather: High of 82ºF (28ºC), low of 64ºF (18ºC)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. Funny.... I have a photo of the same guy sitting in the same place putting on his socks (a different day a few weeks ago)... must be a regular trip for him. As for the machete... we joke about little boys given a machete as a christening present... seems all males carry one in Mexico. Looks like you're making some tracks ;-)

    ReplyDelete