Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Who can resist tasting the greatest sandwich in America?

We are currently living in Scottsdale, which is known for being an affluent area of Phoenix. We are between house sits for a few days, so in the interim we're trying out airbnb for the first time. More about that in a future blog post.

Scottsdale has both an original downtown area, as well as a more modern upscale area. Today, not having the responsibility of pets to care for, we went into tourist mode and visited downtown Scottsdale.






The website slogan for downtown Scottsdale is "where the old west meets the new west". The photo below shows one of the first scenes I saw, and I thought how well it reflected that slogan. Can you see why?





The facade of the buildings is of the bygone days of the old west, but if you look closely you'll see three people with red helmets on, and you can see the person to the right of the silver car is riding a Segway. All three are riding Segways, with the one in front being a tour leader. If you click on the link you'll see good video of the tours given around the old town. The modern Segway meets old town Scottsdale.

Metal art outside one of the many stores

There are also various walking tours marked on the sidewalks, taking you past the arts and entertainment districts, and of course the shops. The stores reminded me of most tourist destinations, complete with tacky souvenirs and t-shirts. There's also a free hop-on trolley that allows you to cover more ground and see more things.


Another metal art at another entrance to the store

It was a warm sunny day so we were happy to walk around. You'll see I've added in some photos above of sights we saw on our walk. But what sign drew Greg in the most? The one below ...




Feeling a little hungry, he couldn't resist the challenge of seeing whether this greatest sandwich garnered his vote. It was busy inside, which was a good sign. There were lots of people working behind the counter, and the orders were filled quickly and efficiently. What did Greg order? Of course, the infamous sandwich, the Bobbie.




The description of the Bobbie took up a large part of the board explaining the various sandwiches. In Canada, this type of sandwich is called a sub, and is sold in two sizes: 6" small or 12" large. You'll see here though that the 12" sandwich is a medium. It reminded me of the saying that everything is bigger in the USA!

The combination of turkey, cranberry sauce, "homemade" stuffing and mayonnaise did not sound appealing to me, but I said I'd eat maybe a third. By the way, keep in mind the layering of ingredients you see in the photo. Now look at the actual sandwich, along with what I think was a 32 oz drink (almost a litre), and also looked huge.




Not quite as well put together, or appealing, in my eyes. I was also surprised that it was all cold; cold stuffing didn't appeal to me at all. 




I did take a portion of the sandwich, and left Greg to eat the rest, which he did. It certainly didn't get my vote for my favourite sandwich.

From earlier posts you may know that the weather has been unseasonably cool here for the past month or so. I chuckled at the sign in a store window, that had been edited to accommodate the unusual weather.




I'm guessing it usually says it's cold inside! We had a sunny day today with a high of 61ºF (16ºC) this afternoon - and no rain all day - so we were happy with that. Below you'll see a photo of the first flowers I saw today. I'm told that in the world of photography, the bright sunlight today was too harsh to get a good photo of these flowers, but they looked beautiful to me 😎



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Location: Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona, USA
Weather: 61ºF (16ºC) at 3 pm
Forecast: High of 58ºF (14ºC), low of 39ºF (4ºC)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. That sandwich doesn't appeal to me at all... give me a Subway any day... but Greg looks happy and that's what matters ;-)

    ReplyDelete