Friday, December 19, 2014

Enjoying the great outdoors

After a cool, overcast morning, the weather finally perked up and so we went to White Tank Mountain Regional Park, which is about a 30-minute drive away. We logged a high temperature today of 60ºF, with blue skies and sunshine. Yeah! The conversation amongst locals is about how cold it is, but for us it's still warmer than back home in Canada so we're grateful.




This park has many trails of various lengths and degrees of difficulty. After starting with a short loop, we moved on to the waterfall trail. It always amazes me that people from Niagara Falls never tire of searching out waterfalls! However, we didn't get the opportunity to compare the two waterfalls. We initially missed the fine print on the trail map that said "flows only after heavy rain", and at the top we were met with only a small pool of water (which you can see behind Greg and Fanci in the photo below).



The trail was about a mile in length, and along the way we passed a number of petroglyphs (rock engravings).


Although interesting, I don't think I have a respectful appreciation of them. Strangely enough, I really enjoy looking at the artwork found in much of today's graffiti though. Each to his/her own, I guess.


In our travels through New Mexico and Arizona, I've been impressed by the engravings and artwork incorporated into the building of bridges crossing the interstates and highways. Sorry, but I never seem to be ready with a camera when I see them, so I can't show you any examples.

Our house sit is going well. We've met a number of people in the neighbourhood, and in our travels. Today I was a little taken aback when someone said hello to me in the grocery store. It was the first time seeing someone I'd met before, so it made me already feel a little like part of the community. I know that's a stretch, but it was a good feeling. The joy of simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment