Saturday, December 20, 2014

Newsflash - Santa's not at the North Pole!

Today we enjoyed blue skies, sunshine, and a high of 64ºF. Another perfect-weather day to be out and about at nearby Lake Pleasant.



Lake Pleasant is a man-made lake that has a dual purpose, as I understand it. Originally formed for agricultural reasons, it's now a major recreational watersports area for a wide variety of sports. That's its fun purpose.



Maybe more importantly, approximately 20 years ago a dam (Greg says I must call it a water barrier, otherwise I'm swearing!) was completed as part of the Central Arizona Project, which I understand is the largest and most expensive aqueduct system ever constructed in America, and is a major supplier of water to much of central and southern Arizona.

Greg has to stop wearing black clothes as they hide Fanci
So, after walking trails and talking with lots of friendly people, we stopped for a drink at this floating restaurant.


The sign outside said "no dogs allowed", but we were told as long as she fit under the picnic table, she was fine to come in. I'm a rules person, but I bent that one when I saw another dog under a nearby table!

We drove partway around the lake, and stopped at this point:


Closer to the sign, we saw that it said:


I don't think we needed the sign to stop us trying to cross that road!

Over the next few days I'll add photos of some local outdoor Christmas decorations. Check out this one. Look closely and you'll see they have golf clubs in their arms. This community has a golf course running through it, so hence the accessories!


Mr. and Mrs. Claus are just taking a short vacation, before their busy season begins!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Francine! I love that lake and its dam (water barrier). It looks like a wonderful place. And the road under lake is incredible...take care! I hope you enjoying so much your days there...it's an amazing adventure and Merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias, mi amiga. Feliz Navidad a ti y tu familia.

    ReplyDelete