Monday, January 26, 2015

Trains, planes, and automobiles


By this photo you can see that today we visited the Pima Air (and Space) Museum. Rain was forecast so the timing was good for this visit.



Does he look happy, or what?

Those who know my husband will know that he's very interested in the workings of all forms of transportation. In our 11 years together, we've visited more museums related to this than I can count, or even care to remember! As far as I'm concerned, this is one way to show him how much I love him, as it certainly would not be my choice of things to do.

The collection of planes and helicopters was extensive. We're talking 150 in the hangers, with another 150 outdoors in the immediate "boneyard" (to be regenerated or recycled). By taking the organized tour, you can see 4,000+ in all the boneyards. Just driving along the nearby roads it's overwhelming to see the volume of parked planes. Thankfully, we did the shorter walking tour (phew!).





How much do I love thee? ... Let me count the ways (or planes).

This is just a small portion of the area - they were parked everywhere!

I preferred the outdoor area as it made me wonder about the history of each of these planes, some of which came from outside of the U.S.A. How did a plane from a Chinese airlines make its way here? What were the stories behind this U.S. Navy plane from Guantanamo Bay?

This made me reflect on the relationship between the USA and Cuba today

Notice the NASA tail behind that plane? Here's a photo of the complete plane ... isn't it huge?

NASA "super guppy" cargo transport plane

Look to  the bottom far left of the photo and you'll see Greg standing under the nose of the plane. Perhaps that gives you a better idea of its size!



This plane caught my eye as I liked how colourfully it was painted and how the characters were so playful.

I'll end with a commercial, which is not the norm for me. Based on Tripadvisor reviews, we went to Renee's Organic Oven for dinner last night. To save repeating my opinion, I'll just add my TripAdvisor review (dated Jan 25th, by ru2cold) here. If you're in the area, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment