Friday, March 20, 2015

Spines of all shapes and sizes

So, the topic today is spines. After 100+ days on the road, what do we miss about home? Well, as I've mentioned before, our regular visits to the chiropractor for sure. For me, add to that regular massage therapy. While away we likely need these treatments more often, because of sleeping in different beds and being in the car more than usual.

So today, we went to a local chiropractor. It was my second visit, but for Greg it was his first visit. Greg had been impressed by this doctor's ad in a local community newspaper, so that's how I made the selection. Before deciding, I also went online to check out the options. The most advertised one was a franchise called The Joint, which was at a much lower cost, but it didn't seem a good fit for me. You couldn't make appointments, and there wouldn't be any consistency in who would treat you. I had the impression that there wouldn't be much time spent on me, and I now find out that my assumptions were correct.

A whale spine seen in a main tourist area when we visited Mexico recently

So, off we go to Dr. Nicholas Warner at Wellness in Motion. He initially trained as a massage therapist, and then went on to chiropractic college. He combines the two skills and gives excellent treatment. He told me today that he's known as an old-fashioned doctor, and I liked that personal approach. He's a one-man operation, and takes as much times as necessary with each patient. There wasn't any sense of a drive-through mentality. I find this doctor interesting as he also does equine therapy; adjusting horses. He also teaches at a local massage therapy college. He has his two dogs with him in the office, and they came into the treatment room. I thought that might be unsettling for some patients but he assured me that the majority enjoy the dogs being there.


The many spines on what Greg called a padlock cactus (look closely)

So, hopefully that will keep us in shape until we return to Canada. Top of my list for when we return will be the chiropractor, my massage therapist ... and a haircut! 

No comments:

Post a Comment