Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What do you mean, in and out?

When you're not a local, sometimes you don't understand the local jargon. When asking for directions in California, we were told to come off the freeway and turn right at the "in and out". We thought this was some type of ramp configuration, until we saw In-N-Out Burger. Ah, from confusion comes clarity!



Well, that wasn't the last we heard of this burger joint. Another strange quirk on this adventure is the number of times I've been stopped and asked directions, and usually within a day or two of arrival at a new place. My first day here, a motorist pulled over and asked me for directions to the nearest In-N-Out. At least I knew what he meant this time!

I explained that I'd just arrived, but that I'd seen one close by (we notice them now!). I wondered why he didn't just chose another place, but I kept that thought to myself. There were two vehicles travelling together, and both drivers were frantically checking their GPSs. I checked Google maps on my phone, and went back and told him it was two buildings away in the same mall. His response? "Are you sure?" He looked like someone needing caffeine!



So, today at the dog park, we met a man who'd recently moved here from New York. His parting comment was "Have you tried an In-N-Out burger yet? You have to have one!" He was a walking endorsement, complete with details of why it's different from most other fast-food places. He assured us he could direct us to the closest one. Hilarious!

In checking In-N-Out Burger's website, I see that most locations are in California, and all are in the south western states, so none in his home state of New York. However, he did say he's moving here, so maybe he has the same withdrawal issues as the man in the vehicle at the mall!

So where did we go today? You guessed it!

2 comments:

  1. Guess where we ate yesterday.... you got it.... the In N Out in Ft Worth. We eat beef probably less than 6 times a year, but I've gotta have my In N Out fix when we find one. Our introduction to them was in Pomona, CA in 2000.... we don't get to CA that often so it was a while before we had another. Found one in Yuma later.... last year they built not one but two in Ft Worth, TX. Oh yeah... a double double with cheese, onions.... and french fries and a soft drink. Probably heart attack on a bun, but oh, so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence ... but at least I only ordered a single! LOL

      Delete