Sunday, March 1, 2015

No more blind dates for me!

I decided that my photos today will be a recap of the four-legged friends we've made so far along this journey. My writing will be a personal story.

Fanci, our first and current new friend

Many years ago, when I was newly divorced, I answered a personal ad in the newspaper. We then talked on the phone for more than an hour and had a great conversation. During our conversation we figured out that we belonged to the same labour union, and had been at the same union dinner the week before. He then said "Oh, are you that redhead?". When I told him I was the blonde sitting next to her, he didn't remember me at all. No surprise there, as she was very outgoing, and I am not.

Sierra and Lilly, the Californian sisters

The reason for this story? Times have changed, and thanks to Google we no longer have to rely on blind dates. After emails back and forth with a prospective house sit, we exchanged our blog information. I am already aware that my blog has evolved into something more than my travel account, and that I've shared things about myself that surprises me. This homeowner has been blogging far longer, which allowed me to read so much about her that I felt like I was snooping around in her personal life. But hey, she wrote it for others to read, right?

Tagine, our Tucson feline

When we met yesterday, I immediately told her I felt like I already knew her ... intimately (that's what I said!). I quickly explained why, but it did feel weird to know so many personal details about someone I hadn't met. It reminded me a little of last year in Costa Rica, where our neighbour would write her blog early in the morning. I'd then read it at breakfast and then when I'd see her later in the day, and she tried to catch up on what's new, I'd say "yep, I know, I read it this morning!". I had to stop reading it early, so that she could tell me her stories herself. I miss those chats, Sharon!

Shiloh, Jake, and Zena - we'll see you again soon!

Oh, and the outcome of meeting the homeowner? Yes, we agreed on a house sit with her basset hound, Rosie. The outcome of the blind date all those years ago wasn't so good. It was the most boring date I've ever been on, mainly because in person we couldn't find anything to talk about. I couldn't wait for it to end ... and then he asked me for another date. Go figure!

2 comments:

  1. How funny for me to read about myself someone else's blog.... weird even. I miss our time in Costa Rica..... And your recount of your blind date makes me smile... what memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt funny when you wrote about us too. Our chats now seem to be missing the all-important glass of white wine!

    ReplyDelete