Thursday, March 26, 2015

Texas sure is big!

Today we travelled from the just west of the New Mexico/Texas state line to about two hours west of San Antonio, Texas. We covered about 350 miles, including the distance in New Mexico, and moved into the Central time zone, so we lost an hour.

Texas is a big state, so on a state map we sure didn't get too far. Texas is almost 272,000 sq. miles, as compared to my home country of Wales, which is just over 8,000 sq. miles. Texas is just one of the 11 states we've travelled so far on this journey.

Yesterday I said I never get tired of this scenery; well today I'm not so sure. Most of the time all we saw was mountains in the distance, with lots of scrub and straight, boring roads. We did see border patrol presence in the areas when the interstate runs near the Mexican border. We went through a border patrol inspection once, but being two snowbird Canadians we were quickly waived through. 

At the Texas Travel Centre - I just love this tree

When we travel the interstates we usually rely on coupon books from the travel centres for excellent hotel prices. In the area where we decided to stop today there weren't any coupons, and I hadn't had data service for most of the journey so there was no way to comparison shop. We turned off at a town where there were about six chain hotels in a row, most of them quite new. After walking in to two and finding out that the prices were high for these chains, I was told "you're in the oil fields". At the fourth hotel I gave in and we paid the price!

A close-up of its blossom

I'll be glad when we're back into range for data service so I can shop around more while we're travelling. Yet another learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment