Thursday, December 24, 2015

My Top 10 List of Outdoor Displays


Current location: Peoria, Arizona, USA
Housesit: Fanci, a small standard poodle
Weather: currently 54ºF (12ºC) at 10 pm
Forecast: high of 60ºF (16ºC) low of 49ºF (9ºC)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were here for the Christmas holidays last year. Well, to be politically correct, I probably shouldn't use the word "Christmas". That's a story unto itself, which was told last year. Check it out, if you didn't see it, or don't remember.

Last year I was impressed by the various outdoor decorations, especially the way so many cactus were dressed up with elves' hats. This year, however, the decorations were slower to appear, and less plentiful. Maybe it's because I'm repeating the experience, but I really do think there's been less of an effort this year.

Before I start this year's Top 10 decorations, I'll share my favourite from last year ...





Bright and cheery, with a sense of humour (or humor, as the Americans would say). It made me smile every time I passed by.

To be honest, it's not really my Top 10 List, but rather just 10 I've seen in our travels. Snowmen seem to be the most popular.


Looks a little too fluffy to me
He seems to need help getting grounded
That's more like it! A shady character, for sure.
What does he need a shovel for?
Obviously not scared of their own shadows!
Now that's a skinny snowman!
He lives around the corner from us. He looks so welcoming

OK, enough already with the snowmen. What else?

Not my favourite one, and quite a small Santa too
Of course, Snoopy is everywhere, just like Santa!
At least unique, a one-of-a-kind display

So, that's my "Top 10" list. Not too impressive, in my humble opinion.

I do have a Worst and Best category though. So, the worst I saw?


A Charlie Brown Christmas tree, as I call it. Perhaps it looks better at night, but it's certainly sad looking in the daylight.

And the best? Well, if you look at last year's Christmas Eve post about nativity scenes, you'll see how one of our friends makes a point of counting the number of nativity scenes he sees, in the belief they reflect the true meaning of Christmas. Well, today we saw our first nativity scene of this year, so it gets the Best award by default.



The fake snow leaves something to be desired, and they could have taken the tag (on the roof) off the greenery, but it's the only one, so it rates the best!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Follow us on Twitter @RUtravellers

Reminder: We have the prior approval of owners before posting photos and/or stories of their homes or pets.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww... what a sad looking tree... yeah, definitely a Charlie Brown tree. That tall, skinny one looks like they could put big ears on it and use it at Easter as the Easter Bunny ;-)

    ReplyDelete